Had to learn how to submit passive Nagios checks. Here are the steps
- Define a service or modify a service template to set the directives
passive_checks_enabled 1 active_checks_enabled 0
- Install and configure nsca service on nagios
- Install and configure send_nsca utility on the server that needs to submit the check.
- Write your service check to output the following text to a file called
Hostname;Service Description;return code;text output
- execute send_nsca to send the output to the nagios server with this command-line
cat outfile | send_nsca -H nagios_svr_addr -d \; -p 5667
This command sends the file output received from
stdin to send_nsc.
Note: the default delimiter for the output file is a tab. I changed it to the semi-colon for simplicity here and set that tion by using -d on the command line. As ; is special to bash, I escaped it with \.